Saturday, December 28, 2013

I Was Once an Orphan

"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." -Jesus (John 14:18)




Meet Immaculate (10, right) quiet, humble, hardworking, helpful, motherly, obedient, joyful. Samuel (8, left) quiet, sensitive, thoughtful, playful. Richard (6, middle) sweet, loving, quiet, shy. These children just lost the only parent they had in the world, their sweet mama, Janet. Janet had been sick for a long time; her kids spent a lot of their time caring for her. She passed away in their home a couple weeks ago. If you have kids, or know kids around this same age, can you imagine them caring for their mama at such a young age and then having her pass away to leave them alone in the world? Can you imagine them being so young and having their mama pass away in their house? Can you imagine being so young, that they think their mama is only 'resting' for a couple of days, until another adult from the community demands to be able to go in and check on their mama, only to find that she had been gone for a couple of days already? I would say that I can't imagine it, but it just happened to three little kids that I know and love. Thankfully these kids have their own plot of land and a good house to live in and they're part of a program through Children's Hope Chest and so they won't be forgotten; they'll be cared for, clothed, fed and loved. Some kids aren't as fortunate as these. Some have their parents pass away only to have their father's brother kick them off their plot of land and send them to fend for themselves. Some are abused and taken advantage of and some starve or die of preventable and treatable diseases. I don't tell this story to make anyone feel guilty or to incite emotions; I tell it simply because it's true.


I also tell it, because this true story points to another true story. It's the story of Jesus and his Father's plan to redeem his people; all those who are 'orphans' in this world. This true story is the reason that I am in Uganda. I'm not in Uganda because I am wonderful or special. I'm not here because I have a bigger heart than someone else or because I'm crazy (well…maybe that one;)), I am here because I was once an orphan too. I wasn't an orphan in the sense that Samuel is an orphan, because I have loving parents on this earth. I was an orphan in this world, because I didn't know the love of Jesus and what it meant to be a part of God's Kingdom; His family.  I don't want to share about my time in Uganda only so that people will know the plight of the children of Uganda. I want to share about my time so that people will know who Jesus is! I have complete confidence that if people knew the Jesus that I know that it would change them. It's impossible to truly know Jesus and stay the same. 

The truth is that God is completely loving and completely just at the same time. He loves his creation and sent his only Son so that we could be in His family; so that we could be saved from an eternity of being separated from him. You see without Jesus we are separated from Him. He created his world and set up some guidelines for us to live by based in His great love for us; rules to keep us safe and at peace. But in our willful disobedience and pride we have been separated from God (Romans 3:23, 6:23). The Good News is that in God's abundant grace he decided to make a way through Jesus. The bad news is that without Jesus there is eternal punishment and separation from God. I don't share that to be a downer, I say it because I love you and I want you to have abundant life now and forever!

Jesus came to bring life and life to the full. This life is offered to anyone who might hear his inviting words of redemption, believe and turn towards him in repentance. I am here in Uganda because of this abundant life in Jesus. I am hear because he first loved me and now I am freed to love others. I am here because ultimate joy and satisfaction is found in seeking his face alone; in being where he is. 

Just so we're clear--I am no where near perfect :), I am still being transformed by His grace. I don't want people to get the wrong idea; that I am just floating around all day holding children and planting seeds of joy. I hope that, by God's grace, there are some seeds planted, some comfort given and joy administered…but the truth is that I can be irritable and impatient. I often look out for my own good before everyone else's. I speak without thinking and often hurt others. I am still as in need of God's grace here as I am anywhere else. I'm finding it difficult to express myself in words when it comes to Jesus, his kingdom and the Gospel, which maybe makes sense since…'The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love…' (Galatians 5:6b) and…'Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth…' (1 John 3:18). 

All that to say…I love following Jesus:)! It's wonderful and exciting and you never know what is going to happen next:)! God is faithful and trustworthy; he keeps all his promises and one day all of this mess will be over and everything will be made new! Wooo hoooo:)!!! Until then though, sometimes you'll be in Africa with a bacterial infection in your intestines, intestinal worms, and fleas all at the same time (not that I know anyone who that has happened to, haha;))!!

Not a perfect picture, but pretty accurate:). 
Just look at those awesome faces! I hear they could use some help, because most of them are living with only one parent (if any) and I think maybe in all 200+ kids at that specific Carepoint, maybe 5 have a father in the home (that is probably a high estimate). Without a male in the family to provide it is very difficult for a mother to work, care for and feed her family. It was crazy as I compiled this data I felt like I was  becoming numb to how many times I was typing the word 'deceased' under the heading 'Father.' I would automatically type it and then have to go back and change it after reading the information, if in fact the father was still living, but that didn't happen very often. Many of the current care takers are actually living with HIV/AIDS themselves. 






They love to sing songs to God and pray to him.
I am trying to help raise funds for a medical fund for this care point. We are shooting for a goal of $5,000 and are just over halfway there. I know we can do this! It seems so simple a thing, but probably only because I've taken access to medical care for granted so often! Please help me to help my friends:)! 
Also, it has been such a sweet experience to sponsor a couple of these kids. It has been fun building relationships with them over the past couple of years and to know I am helping a real friend. God is bringing hope to these kids and he wants to use us to do it:)! So, if you are interested in investing $34 a month into the life of one of my friends in Uganda, please let me know:)! It would be the greatest privilege for me to be able to tell them personally all about their friend in America who wants to help them!! 


If you're interested in giving toward the medical fund, click on the link below to visit my fundraising page. If you're interested in sponsoring one of these kids, just send me an email or facebook message (jessh4@gmail.com). Thank you!! :)


Merry Christmas from Uganda!!



"The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"--which means, "God with us."   (Matthew 1:23) Amen!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment